Definition of arrest :
1. A scurfiness of the back part of the hind leg of a horse; - also named rat- tails.
2. Any seizure by power, physical or moral.
3. The act of stopping, or restraining from further motion, etc.; stoppage; hindrance; restraint; as, an arrest of development.
4. The taking or apprehending of a person by authority of law; legal restraint; custody. Also, a decree, mandate, or warrant.
5. To rest or fasten; to fix; to concentrate.
6. To seize on and fix; to hold; to catch; as, to arrest the eyes or attention.
7. To stop; to check or hinder the motion or action of; as, to arrest the current of a river; to arrest the senses.
8. To take, seize, or apprehend by authority of law; as, to arrest one for debt, or for a crime.
9. To tarry; to rest.
forbear, oblige, peck, insure, return, declare, moderate, fix, pickup, snag, admit, boom, drive away, cease, cop, incur, incorporate, bridle, grow, pinched, bank check, lapse, call for, take for, stupefy, sire, emergency, stop, choker, drive, blast, discipline, charm, impediment, begin, check up on, conceal, suss out, leash, harbor, bear, view as, checkout, condition, snitch, jibe, prevention, snap, grab, intrigue, halt, get wind, breath test, capture someone's interest/imagination/attention, check, harbour, check mark, misgiving, mother, commitment, run off, motivate, tour, get a line, flummox, gimmick, perplex, tinge, seized, curb, hinderance, sweep through, mark, perk, diaphragm, cut into, jot, drive off, accommodate, discontinuation, stem, incarceration, hear, check out, buzz off, stimulate, acquire, continuation, guard, learn, stay, ascertain, defy, convey, cheque, tally, hitch, handicap, stop consonant, chequer, adjudge, leave off, watch, closure, baulk, invert, ace, plosive speech sound, restraining, take into custody, pay back, pick-up, termination, enlistment, amaze, become, hold off, entertain, retard, get down, start out, stopover, nonplus, quail at, touch, tour of duty, aim, trip up, hang-up, breathalyze, find out, prevail, see, overtake, freeze, rub, engender, give, full stop, nab, deterrent, restrain, understanding, fit, haul, compass, smash, hold on, sustain, staunch, have, assay, defend, taken in, detained, enamor, turn back, kill, stop over, expiration, come, caught, check-out procedure, mystify, reverse, preventive, complete, discontinuance, kill off, inspire, limp, tweak, bewilder, maintain, shutoff, action, go over, dig, agree, speck, tick, induce, find, finish, hook, block off, gravel, confirmation, break, blockage, turn around, plosive consonant, discover, experience, drive out, support, occlusive, check into, break off, delay, penned up, put in irons, imprisoned, train, intercept, grip, throw, bring, pinpoint, father, arrestment, plosive, excite, concur, assure, hint, deem, correspond, blockade, obligate, apprehensiveness, imprisonment, in custody, carry, stanch, end, draw, get under one's skin, gather up, spellbind, bring forth, close, perk up, hindrance, double back, catch up with, balk, enthrall, mesmerize, thieve, enamour, discontinue, pinch, preventative, occlusion, run in, acquittal, taken into custody, booked, entrance, duty tour, ensure, collared, pose, lay off, shut off, enthuse, puzzle, conclusion, hold, comprise, retrovert, savvy, glom, hold in, stick, stamp out, encumbrance, make, bind, nurse, grasp, take in, dispel, bust, give up, interfere with, extension, keep, period, comprehend, obstruction, fire someone with enthusiasm, block, knock off, surcease, term of enlistment, take hold of, generate, start, beget, crack, baffle, suppress, produce, sent up the river, take hold, sail through, suppression, fetch, confine, chit, reserve, breeze through, apply, substantiation, determine, restraint, have got, shut up, let, shutdown, overhear, match, pass with flying colors, bar, nail, keep back, nabbed, fascinate, wait, mite, continue, scram, exigency, freeing, hold up, interest, hold back, peg, closedown, go, uplift, set out, set about, grok, revert, stall, full point, backtrack, sent to jail, ending, busted, pay off, sent to prison, contract, becharm, confined, dog collar, develop, barricade, go for, detention, incumbrance, handcuffed, nail down, make prisoner, view, get the picture, retain, take prisoner, layover, rivet, regress, gain vigor, receive, chase away, cessation, dumbfound, squeeze out, see to it, commence, body search, beat, check over, verification, suffer, jailed, holdup, apprehended, withstand, dazzle, cause, neckband, transfix, soupcon, terminate, mark off, bewitch, offset, interruption, concord, control, captivate, checker, shoe collar, collect, bugger off, attract, look into, bounty hunter, point, intoxicate, trance, book, interference, block up, quit, catch up, vex, check off, stoppage, detain, arrive, beguile, taking into custody, percolate, contain, belay, tick off, hobble, lift up, kibosh, dread, get word, gibe, cutoff, discernment, elate, tab, law, enchant, chip
capture (part of speech: verb)
abduct, snare, apprehension, capture, apprehend, secure, seizure, appropriation, occupy, abduction, get, catch, gain, acquisition, win, snatch, obtain, take, collar, occupation, confiscation, seize, achieve
- " I'm going up to my room to put some things together; and I'll go into town with any man who wishes to arrest me. - "Black Jack", Max Brand.
- Nobody will be out in the streets at this time of night, he said; I shall not be seen, and they cannot arrest me. - "Eve and David", Honore de Balzac.
- No touch of pity had power to arrest his arm. - "History-of-the-Conquest-of-Peru-with-a-preliminary-view-of-the-civilization-of-the-Incas", Prescott, William Hickling.