Definition of article :
1. A distinct part.
2. A distinct portion of an instrument, discourse, literary work, or any other writing, consisting of two or more particulars, or treating of various topics; as, an article in the Constitution. Hence: A clause in a contract, system of regulations, treaty, or the like; a term, condition, or stipulation in a contract; a concise statement; as, articles of agreement.
3. A literary composition, forming an independent portion of a magazine, newspaper, or cyclopedia.
4. A particular one of various things; as, an article of merchandise; salt is a necessary article.
5. One of the segments of an articulated appendage.
6. One of the three words, a, an, the, used before nouns to limit or define their application. A ( or an) is called the indefinite article, the the definite article.
7. Precise point of time; moment.
8. Subject; matter; concern; distinct.
9. To accuse or charge by an exhibition of articles.
10. To agree by articles; to stipulate; to bargain; to covenant.
11. To bind by articles of covenant or stipulation; as, to article an apprentice to a mechanic.
12. To formulate in articles; to set forth in distinct particulars.
condition (part of speech: noun)
dissertation (part of speech: noun)
criticism, examination, interpolation, assertion, dissertation, thesis, position, commentary, argument, hypothesis, research, conjecture, critique, analysis, contention, postulation, opinion, premise, essay, discussion
component (part of speech: noun)
merchandise (part of speech: noun)
substance (part of speech: noun)
report (part of speech: noun)
- I seen from the first that you were the real article. - "The Girl of the Golden West", David Belasco.
- She is well now; then I have had to set in order the rest of my poor Bouilhet's papers, on whom I have begun the article. - "The George Sand-Gustave Flaubert Letters", George Sand, Gustave Flaubert Translated by A.L. McKensie.
- It may be some one who wants"- " An article," said Milton cheerfully. - "A First Family of Tasajara", Bret Harte.