Definition of artificial :
1. Artful; cunning; crafty.
2. Cultivated; not indigenous; not of spontaneous growth; as, artificial grasses.
3. Feigned; fictitious; assumed; affected; not genuine.
4. Made or contrived by art; produced or modified by human skill and labor, in opposition to natural; as, artificial heat or light, gems, salts, minerals, fountains, flowers.
schmalzy, insubstantial, unlifelike, culture, arranged, faux, semisynthetic, sham, plastic, contrived, real, good, insincere, mushy, hokey, maudlin, simulated, fictitious, bleached, Celluloid, manufactured, soupy, coloured, colored, pretended, staged, inorganic, stylised, near, pseudo, man-made, kitschy, plain, make-believe, spurious, stylized, cardboard, substitute, slushy, manmade, soppy, phony, dummy, schmaltzy, factitious, painted, bathetic, unreal, unsubstantial, true, conventionalized, honest, conventionalised, mawkish, genuine, precious, dyed, pretend, sentimental, feigned, drippy, natural
pretentious (part of speech: adjective)
fraudulent, masquerading, fake, studied, forced, imposture, counterfeit, ostentatious, facade, unnatural, affected, impersonating, deceitful, ersatz, synthetic, showy, histrionic, theatrical, mannered, posing, imitation, pretentious, la-di-da, bogus, forged, false, stagy, stiff, overdone, mock, stilted
- Guided by the fitful flickering of light ahead of him, Craig slipped along what was in effect an artificial tunnel. - "The Lost Warship", Robert Moore Williams.
- Oblige me by giving up all your artificial charms. - "Cousin Betty", Honore de Balzac.
- Of late I have been tempted to look into the problems furnished by nature rather than those more superficial ones for which our artificial state of society is responsible. - "Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes", Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.