Definition of artificial:
- Artful; cunning; crafty.
- Cultivated; not indigenous; not of spontaneous growth; as, artificial grasses.
- Feigned; fictitious; assumed; affected; not genuine.
- Made or contrived by art; produced or modified by human skill and labor, in opposition to natural; as, artificial heat or light, gems, salts, minerals, fountains, flowers.
conventionalised, ersatz, feigned, pseudo, insincere, stylised, unsubstantial, near, schmaltzy, painted, bathetic, unnatural, arranged, conventionalized, mushy, precious, spurious, sentimental, schmalzy, synthetic, honest, plain, unlifelike, natural, real, faux, affected, phony, fictitious, dummy, false, semisynthetic, simulated, pretended, inorganic, sham, unreal, fake, manmade, hokey, genuine, factitious, manufactured, soupy, pretend, coloured, insubstantial, Celluloid, colored, man-made, kitschy, stilted, maudlin, staged, drippy, culture, stylized, make-believe, bleached, mawkish, dyed, contrived, slushy, cardboard, plastic, substitute, true, good, soppy, imitation.
pretentious (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Lost Warship", Robert Moore Williams.
- "Cousin Betty", Honore de Balzac.
- "Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes", Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.