Definition of artless :
1. Contrived without skill or art; inartistic.
2. Free from guile, art, craft, or stratagem; characterized by simplicity and sincerity; sincere; guileless; ingenuous; honest; as, an artless mind; an artless tale.
3. Wanting art, knowledge, or skill; ignorant; unskillful.
unprejudiced, uncultivated, crude, upstanding, homely, unstudied, lowbrow, rustic, rough-and-tumble, unworldly, rough-hewn, unpretentious, aboveboard, unskilled, jerry-rigged, truthful, unbiased, lowbrowed, uncultured, jerry-built, careless, fair, jury-rigged, clumsy, rough-and-ready, unpretending, impartial, unrefined, decent, unadorned, guileless, principled, true, rough, fine, unreserved, real, irreproachable, homespun, undistorted, good, unpolished, transparent
artless (part of speech: adjective)
naive, sincere, frank, undeceptive, honest, overt, callow, trusting, downright, unsophisticated, blunt, outgoing, candid, direct, undisguised, unbeguiling, natural, unrestrained, plain-spoken, unaffected, open, unartful, plain, broad, ingenuous, genuine, uncalculating, undeceitful, un-artificial, straightforward, undeceiving
simple (part of speech: adjective)
- He had no sister, and she had no brother, and he would have liked to play the brother to this most artless of learned ladies. - "A Houseful of Girls", Sarah Tytler.
- Quite a large trout will yield to this artless method, if the rod be sturdy- none of your glued- up cane- affairs. - "Angling Sketches", Andrew Lang.
- Miss Middlerib, in the artless simplicity of her romantic nature, said: I smell bees. - "Masterpieces Of American Wit And Humor", Thomas L. Masson (Editor).