Definition of ascend:
- To go or move upward upon or along; to climb; to mount; to go up the top of; as, to ascend a hill, a ladder, a tree, a river, a throne.
- To move upward; to mount; to go up; to rise; - opposed to descend.
- To rise, in a figurative sense; to proceed from an inferior to a superior degree, from mean to noble objects, from particulars to generals, from modern to ancient times, from one note to another more acute, etc.; as, our inquiries ascend to the remotest antiquity; to ascend to our first progenitor.
get hold, surface, muster, scrape up, line up, burn down, find, issue, develop, wax, spring, burn up, come on, come up, turn out, proceed, rebel, draw close, heighten, jump, muster up, sprout, come near, rear, resurrect, get up, summon, scrape, stand up, emanate, approach, climb up, scratch, originate, uprise, rise up, spring up, grow, go up, draw near, come, bob up, go on, move up, near, rally, prove, increase, bristle, flow, advance, arise.
- "The English Language", Robert Gordon Latham.
- "A Bibliographical, Antiquarian and Picturesque Tour in France and Germany, Volume One", Thomas Frognall Dibdin.
- "The Slaves of the Padishah", Mór Jókai.