Definition of ascendant:
- Alt. of Ascendent
- An ancestor, or one who precedes in genealogy or degrees of kindred; a relative in the ascending line; a progenitor; - opposed to descendant.
- Ascent; height; elevation.
- Superiority, or commanding influence; ascendency; as, one man has the ascendant over another.
- The horoscope, or that degree of the ecliptic which rises above the horizon at the moment of one's birth; supposed to have a commanding influence on a person's life and fortune.
bossy, origin, magisterial, stem, etymon, base, root word, regnant, theme, solution, ancestor, prepotent, high-and-mighty, rootage, etymon, overlooking, dominant, source, ascensive, forerunner, ascendent, autocratic, tooth root, ascending, root, prevailing, important, beginning, antecedent, dominating, peremptory, radical.
- successful (part of speech: adjective)
superior (part of speech: adjective)
- "The History of England from the Accession of James II. Volume 1 (of 5)", Thomas Babington Macaulay.
- "Plutarch's Lives, Volume II", Aubrey Stewart & George Long.
- "The Victory At Sea", William Sowden Sims Burton J. Hendrick.