Definition of ascent:
- An eminence, hill, or high place.
- The act of rising; motion upward; rise; a mounting upward; as, he made a tedious ascent; the ascent of vapors from the earth.
- The degree of elevation of an object, or the angle it makes with a horizontal line; inclination; rising grade; as, a road has an ascent of five degrees.
- The way or means by which one ascends.
cost increase, emanation, ascension, mount, insurrection, rebellion, boost, rising slope, salary increase, rise, slope, wage hike, hike, raise, wage increase, procession, grade, heave, acclivity, climb, rising, upgrade, incline, ascending, advance, revolt, climbing.
- "The Drummer's Coat", J. W. Fortescue.
It appeared to me to be probable that this ridge of granite might rise higher in other places, and that stretching across the current as it did, that is to say from west to east, the great accumulation of fossil and other remains had been gradually deposited against it, forming a gradual ascent on the northern side of the ridge, and a precipitous fall upon the other.- "Expedition into Central Australia", Charles Sturt.
- "The Fortunes Of Glencore", Charles James Lever.