Definition of ascertain:
- To find out or learn for a certainty, by trial, examination, or experiment; to get to know; as, to ascertain the weight of a commodity, or the purity of a metal.
- To make ( a thing) certain to the mind; to free from obscurity, doubt, or change; to make sure of; to fix; to determine.
- To render ( a person) certain; to cause to feel certain; to make confident; to assure; to apprise.
tell, incur, control, fancy, checker, notice, manipulate, feel, catch out, examine, make up one's mind, recover, correspond, check into, fix, hear, disclose, discover, ferret out, agree, tick, watch over, experience, get word, discern, bump, set, reckon, larn, see, run into, square off, get a line, construe, hold in, learn, tally, underwrite, happen, take in, image, gibe, look on, check out, arrest, run across, escort, curb, train, retard, date, take care, secure, break, look into, observe, invent, memorize, visualise, turn back, regard, watch out, obtain, attend, get, find out, match, stop, witness, keep an eye on, contain, find oneself, keep in line, come up, go through, study, reassure, interpret, realise, moderate, get wind, line up, crack, read, retrieve, influence, descry, teach, come across, chequer, jibe, figure, shape, operate, memorise, go over, suss out, visualize, encounter, settle, mark, project, visit, chance, fit, guarantee, mold, insure, catch, cover, watch, define, regain, find, assure, regulate, condition, see to it, discipline, pick up, con, understand, get hold, go steady, hold, check off, specify, meet, expose, instruct, realize, rule, delay, look, ensure, tick off, check up on, check over, detect, check, promise, square up, look out, envision, decide, follow, limit, receive, go out, determine, take, acquire, command, hold back, consider, mark off, picture, view, master.
- "The Emigrant Mechanic and Other Tales In Verse Together With Numerous Songs Upon Canadian Subjects", Thomas Cowherd.
- "Right Ho, Jeeves", P. G. Wodehouse.
- "The Eustace Diamonds", Anthony Trollope.