Definition of aspersion :
1. A sprinkling, as with water or dust, in a literal sense.
2. The spreading of calumniations reports or charges which tarnish reputation, like the bespattering of a body with foul water; calumny.
smirch, law, traducement, sparge, attack, hatchet job, belittling, spot, obloquy, blot, sprinkle, daub, scattering, calumniation, sprinkling, character assassination, crimes, deprecation, slur, smudge, smear
detraction (part of speech: noun)
slander (part of speech: noun)
- " Very well, Laura; in revenge for that last aspersion I will tell you nothing whatever more about Lionel Beauchamp. - "Belles and Ringers", Hawley Smart.
- I will not listen to, or- or permit in my presence any aspersion against that young lady! - "Mysterious Mr. Sabin", E. Phillips Oppenheim.
- At first I regarded the act as an aspersion on my strength- a doubt cast upon my ability to obtain a seat for myself. - "Life on the Stage", Clara Morris.