Definition of aspiring:
pushing, determined, sedulous, motivated, desire, plan, draw a bead on, competitive, purposeful, aim, ambitious, shoot for, dedicated, self-seeking, aspire, driven, go-getting, persistent, would-be, hard-driving, wishful, emulous, be after, aspirant, insistent.
- hopeful (part of speech: adjective)
- petitioning (part of speech: verb)
- pursuing (part of speech: verb)
- hoping (part of speech: verb)
He feels that the clean- living, law- abiding, educated Native is a man not inferior to himself whom he therefore ought to recognise as a fellow- citizen, but whenever he sees this fellow- citizen aspiring or laying claim to the social recognition that involves contact with white women he is filled instantly with wrath which he cannot justify to himself and yet cannot suppress.- "The Black Man's Place in South Africa", Peter Nielsen.
- "The Dop Doctor", Clotilde Inez Mary Graves.
- "The Unity of Civilization", Various.