Definition of assail:
- To attack morally, or with a view to produce changes in the feelings, character, conduct, existing usages, institutions; to attack by words, hostile influence, etc.; as, to assail one with appeals, arguments, abuse, ridicule, and the like.
- To attack with violence, or in a vehement and hostile manner; to assault; to molest; as, to assail a man with blows; to assail a city with artillery.
- To encounter or meet purposely with the view of mastering, as an obstacle, difficulty, or the like.
dishonour, attack, encounter, beleaguer, snipe, belabor, aggress, set upon, polish up, baste, fall on, buffet, dishonor, round out, labialize, abuse, pummel, revile, assault, go at, vituperate, rail against, outrage, lambaste, round off, clobber, smash, lash out, beat, round, polish, besiege, flesh out, thrash, thresh, sail into, praise, pitch into, fall upon, brush up, labialise, fill out, beset, light into, have at, set on, sharpshoot, ravish, round down, drub.
- "The United States Since The Civil War", Charles Ramsdell Lingley.
- "Marie Antoinette And Her Son", Louise Muhlbach Official.
Children that cry much in nurseries, seldom cry at all in a school- room, where a pleasing variety occupies the time, and a seed- grain of self- control is planted; and temptations arise in the school- room, where peculiar efforts and sacrifices are called for, that do not assail the child at home.- "Guide to the Kindergarten and Intermediate Class and Moral Culture of Infancy.", Elizabeth P. Peabody Mary Mann.