Definition of assessment :
1. A valuation of property or profits of business, for the purpose of taxation; such valuation and an adjudging of the proper sum to be levied on the property; as, an assessment of property or an assessment on property.
2. An apportionment of a subscription for stock into successive installments; also, one of these installments ( in England termed a call).
3. The act of assessing; the act of determining an amount to be paid; as, an assessment of damages, or of taxes; an assessment of the members of a club.
4. The specific sum levied or assessed.
perspicacity, charge, judging, sound judgement, sagacity, politics, opinion, judicial decision, pay, discernment, impost, sound judgment, duty, estimate, tax, fee, money, levy, appraisement, mind, legal opinion, tariff, sagaciousness
calculation (part of speech: noun)
estimation, statistics, calculus, gauge, thought, approximation, value, consideration, judgement, mathematics, tally, evaluation, account, supposition, presumption, count, rank, calculation, arithmetic, method, conclusion, schedule, appraisal, program, study, plot, enumeration, system, computation, quantification, score, inference, algorithm, guess, multiplication, sum, deduction, plan, reckoning, valuation, determination, triangulation, division, algebra, scheme, measurement, total
judgement (part of speech: noun)
- Themistokles was the only man who had sneered at the great reputation which Aristeides had won by his assessment of the Greek states, saying that the praise which was lavished on him was not suitable to a man, but to a chest which kept money safe. - "Plutarch's Lives, Volume II", Aubrey Stewart & George Long.
- The entire system of local taxation is similar to our own, and the methods of assessment are the same. - "Norwegian Life", Ethlyn T. Clough.
- No favored class should demand freedom from assessment, and the taxes should be so distributed as not to fall unduly on the poor, but rather on the accumulated wealth of the country. - "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.