Definition of assistant :
1. An attendant; one who is present.
2. Helping; lending aid or support; auxiliary.
3. Of the second grade in the staff of the army; as, an assistant surgeon.
4. One who, or that which, assists; a helper; an auxiliary; a means of help.
jockstrap, mate, avail, patron, standby, assist, coadjutant, coadjutor, service, sponsor, sidekick, participator, abetter _or_ abettor, second in command, clerk, companion, fellow-worker, athletic supporter, assistance, adherent, champion, gofer, appurtenant, co-worker, right hand, bodyguard, jock, secretary, booster, collaborator, man Friday, retainer, admirer, protagonist, adjutant, right-hand man, confederate, apprentice, gal Friday, low-level, friend, yes-man, garter, adjuvant, lackey, suspensor, subaltern
assistant (part of speech: noun)
auxiliary, patsy, abettor, henchman, hireling, aide-de-camp, proxy, junior, benefactor, attendant, acolyte, underling, functionary, flunky, ancillary, accessory, chaperone, backer, attorney, accomplice, helpmate, adjunct, agent, helper, servant, employee, aide, laborer, aider, stooge, minion, partner, subordinate, lieutenant, follower, associate, deputy, menial, second, extra
deputy (part of speech: noun)
dummy, alternate, envoy, spokeswoman, spokesman, representative, assignee, nominee, stand-in, arm, appointee, emissary, surrogate, double, token, ghost, substitute, understudy, backup, delegate, figurehead, mouthpiece
servant (part of speech: noun)
confederate (part of speech: noun)
- Grenfell telegraphed back, the message running something like this: " My assistant has gone off with the dogs to answer another call. - "Grenfell: Knight-Errant of the North", Fullerton Waldo.
- Magnis Carter, Assistant Editor. - "The Co-Citizens", Corra Harris.
- Remember how that assistant general manager stiff of yours fell down on that public lands deal when you sent him to Washington last month? - "Torchy", Sewell Ford.