Definition of astound:
- amaze (part of speech: verb)
- wonder (part of speech: verb)
- surprise (part of speech: verb)
He was aware, judging rather from Harcourt's tone than from his words, that that keen- sighted friend of his had but a low opinion of Miss Waddington; that he thought that she was some ordinary, intriguing girl, who had been baiting a hook for a husband, after the manner which scandal states to be so common among the Littlebathians; and Bertram longed, therefore, to surprise his eyes and astound his intellect with a view of her charms and a near knowledge of her attributes.- "The Bertrams", Anthony Trollope.
- "Little Mr. Thimblefinger and His Queer Country", Joel Chandler Harris.
- "The Fourth R", George Oliver Smith.