Definition of asylum:
- A sanctuary or place of refuge and protection, where criminals and debtors found shelter, and from which they could not be forcibly taken without sacrilege.
- An institution for the protection or relief of some class of destitute, unfortunate, or afflicted persons; as, an asylum for the aged, for the blind, or for the insane; a lunatic asylum; an orphan asylum.
- Any place of retreat and security.
origination, mental hospital, initiation, covert, instauration, insane asylum, creation, psychiatric hospital, founding, study atshelter, bema, safety, establishment, foundation, retreat, hospice, recourse, harborage, mental home, sanctuary, resort, home, institution, chancel, introduction, innovation, hospital, protection, refuge, mental institution, attack.
- "An Ambitious Man", Ella Wheeler Wilcox.
- "Editorials-from-the-Hearst-Newspapers", Brisbane, Arthur.
- "The Complete Historical Romances of Georg Ebers", Georg Ebers.