Definition of atom :
1. A constituent particle of matter, or a molecule supposed to be made up of subordinate particles.
2. An ultimate indivisible particle of matter.
3. An ultimate particle of matter not necessarily indivisible; a molecule.
4. Anything extremely small; a particle; a whit.
5. The smallest particle of matter that can enter into combination; one of the elementary constituents of a molecule.
6. To reduce to atoms.
dribble, scruple, fleck, blood corpuscle, snip, subatomic particle, blood cell, pinch, nubbin, snippet, chain, subdivision, division, piece, instalment, atomic, mote, atomic weight, portion, a bit, cation, atomic number, jot, molecule, patch, tinge, alpha particle, section, soupcon, segment, member, constituent, hint, anion, antiparticle, taster, atomic mass, sample, fraction, corpuscle, ingredient, fragment, component, atomic energy, a little, share, pinpoint, nugget, part, tittle
particle (part of speech: noun)
unity (part of speech: noun)
entireness, intactness, singleness, purity, union, embodiment, congruence, identity, simplicity, coherence, solidarity, fundamentality, indivisibility, entirety, coincidence, integrity, congruity, sameness, homogeneity, element, holism, unity, completeness, cohesion, oneness
- And it was not an atom of good worrying herself as to whether Miss Tibbutt had been right or wrong regarding the idea communicated in her letter. - "Antony Gray,--Gardener", Leslie Moore.
- It's funny how he always seems the tiniest atom strange with her as if he didn't know her very well or hadn't known her very long. - "This Freedom", A. S. M. Hutchinson.
- You didn't guess the least little atom what we were doing, did you? - "The Head Girl at the Gables", Angela Brazil.