Definition of attempt :
1. A essay, trial, or endeavor; an undertaking; an attack, or an effort to gain a point; esp. an unsuccessful, as contrasted with a successful, effort.
2. To attack; to make an effort or attack upon; to try to take by force; as, to attempt the enemy's camp.
3. To make an attempt; - with upon.
4. To make trial or experiment of; to try; to endeavor to do or perform ( some action); to assay; as, to attempt to sing; to attempt a bold flight.
5. To try to move, by entreaty, by afflictions, or by temptations; to tempt.
6. To try to win, subdue, or overcome; as, one who attempts the virtue of a woman.
movement, tone-beginning, set out, begin, stab, flak, search, take, hear, try out, go about, look for, guarantee, cause, attack, onslaught, get, prove, endeavour, start, elbow grease, crusade, travail, get down, taste, commence, offensive, strive, trial, campaign, stress, seek, blast, assault, exertion, feat, flack, strain, try on, start out, test, plan of attack, fire, take on, have a go at, take a crack at, examine, sample, judge, shot, make a stab at, onset, struggle, try, tackle, onrush, set about, assailment, strike, take in charge, adjudicate, drive, sweat, crack, go, offense, aggression
endeavor (part of speech: verb)
performance, aim, enterprise, proceed, gambit, purpose, commitment, assay, engagement, volunteer, action, project, deed, effort, undertake, engage, proceeding, venture, act, contract, production, endeavor, undertaking, adventure, job, essay, exploit, maneuver, commit, approach, perform
offer (part of speech: verb)
investiture, bid, citation, advance, concession, offering, gift, bestow, endowment, grant, tender, issue, quotation, overture, cite, deal, render, submission, quote, endow, offer, invite, present, impart, donation, give, invitation, bestowal, submit, extend
- I shall make no attempt to escape. - "The New Tenant", E. Phillips Oppenheim.
- It is not an easy task to attempt to catch a person, especially if that person be falling toward you head first. - "The-Circus-Boys-Across-the-Continent-or-Winning-New-Laurels-on-the-Tanbark", Darlington, Edgar B. P..
- He had not seen her since the day her husband had made the attempt on Jaltor's life. - "The Return of Tharn", Howard Carleton Browne.