Definition of austerity:
depression, the poorhouse, ascesis, deprivation, destitution, boom and bust, toughness, easy, gravity, credit crunch, agronomics, savageness, Spartanism, self-discipline, capitalist, asceticism, hardness, formality, deflation, nonindulgence, uncompromisingness, asperity, belt-tightening, stiffness, explosiveness, rigidity, boom, gutter, buoyancy, extremity, privation, subsistence level, ferociousness, penury, seriousness, consumer confidence, puritanism, poverty, want, rigor.
- economy (part of speech: noun)
severity (part of speech: noun)
- asceticism (part of speech: noun)
- simplicity (part of speech: noun)
- temperance (part of speech: noun)
- stinginess (part of speech: noun)
- "Hetty Wesley", Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.
- "The Ball and The Cross", G.K. Chesterton.
- "A Cursory History of Swearing", Julian Sharman.