Definition of author:
- An informant.
- One who composes or writes a book; a composer, as distinguished from an editor, translator, or compiler.
- The beginner, former, or first mover of anything; hence, the efficient cause of a thing; a creator; an originator.
- The editor of a periodical.
- To occasion; to originate.
- To tell; to say; to declare.
motive, seed, inaugurator, transcribe, burn in, beginning, founding father, begetter, condition, reader, commentator, Divinity, copy editor, biographer, antecedent, diarist, Almighty, God, creative commons, back up, patriarch, Eternal, Lord, informant, entrepreneur, contributor, access, germ, occasion, Providence, capture, strategist, source, progenitor, amanuensis, block, former, journalist, put pen to paper, cause, initiator, visionary, novelist, writer, precedent, planner, archive, browse, Supreme Being, get down, audience, commit something to paper/writing, establisher, pioneer, fountain, Yahweh, framer, root, poet, compiler, librettist, start, reservoir, prompter, scribe, rootage, scrivener, call up, reason, reference, note, scholar, designer, burn, hack, record, Jehovah, power, Everlasting, prime mover, censor, compose, instituter, generator, pen, spring, Godhead, poetess, Allah, set down, copy down, publisher, causality, agent, engineer, origin, causation, ghost, write, penman, litterateur, critic.
- artist (part of speech: noun)
- paternity (part of speech: noun)
- producer (part of speech: noun)
- humorist (part of speech: noun)
- "The Castle of Otranto", Horace Walpole.
- "The Land of Long Ago", Eliza Calvert Hall.
- "A Bibliographical, Antiquarian and Picturesque Tour in France and Germany, Volume One", Thomas Frognall Dibdin.