Definition of autonomy :
1. The power or right of self- government; self- government, or political independence, of a city or a state.
2. The sovereignty of reason in the sphere of morals; or man's power, as possessed of reason, to give law to himself. In this, according to Kant, consist the true nature and only possible proof of liberty.
- The result has been that the population has been happy except where civil war brought misery; that subject nations have been allowed autonomy; and that foreign nations have had no need to fear China, in spite of its immense population and resources. - "The Problem of China", Bertrand Russell.
- Spain offered autonomy for Cuba. - "Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie", Andrew Carnegie.
- In order to satisfy the liberal opinion of the world, some form of autonomy must be devised for the newly organized man in America. - "Kelly Miller's History of the World War for Human Rights", Kelly Miller.