Definition of autumn :
1. The harvest or fruits of autumn.
2. The third season of the year, or the season between summer and winter, often called " the fall." Astronomically, it begins in the northern temperate zone at the autumnal equinox, about September 23, and ends at the winter solstice, about December 23; but in popular language, autumn, in America, comprises September, October, and November.
3. The time of maturity or decline; latter portion; third stage.
downfall, pin, fall, capitulation, descent, gloam, declination, dusk, dip, free fall, surrender, drop, twilight, spill, crepuscule, gloaming, downslope, nightfall, crepuscle, harvest time, close of the year, tumble, Indian summer, evenfall, decline, declension, declivity, autumnal equinox
- It is simply winter after autumn, leading to spring and another summer. - "Hinduism and Buddhism, Vol I. (of 3) An Historical Sketch", Charles Eliot.
- From that time Mr. Hastings was often at Eugenia's side, and before the autumn was gone, he had more than once been told she was to be his wife. - "Dora Deane", Mary J. Holmes.
- She had rushed away to the woods on Shashai to return with her mount buried from sight in autumn leaves. - "Peggy Stewart at School", Gabrielle E. Jackson.