Definition of average :
1. A contribution to a loss or charge which has been imposed upon one of several for the general benefit; damage done by sea perils.
2. A mean proportion, medial sum or quantity, made out of unequal sums or quantities; an arithmetical mean. Thus, if A loses 5 dollars, B 9, and C 16, the sum is 30, and the average 10.
3. A tariff or duty on goods, etc.
4. According to the laws of averages; as, the loss must be made good by average contribution.
5. Any charge in addition to the regular charge for freight of goods shipped.
6. Any medial estimate or general statement derived from a comparison of diverse specific cases; a medium or usual size, quantity, quality, rate, etc.
7. In the English corn trade, the medial price of the several kinds of grain in the principal corn markets.
8. Pertaining to an average or mean; medial; containing a mean proportion; of a mean size, quality, ability, etc.; ordinary; usual; as, an average rate of profit; an average amount of rain; the average Englishman; beings of the average stamp.
9. That service which a tenant owed his lord, to be done by the work beasts of the tenant, as the carriage of wheat, turf, etc.
10. The equitable and proportionate distribution of loss or expense among all interested.
11. To divide among a number, according to a given proportion; as, to average a loss.
12. To do, accomplish, get, etc., on an average.
13. To find the mean of, when sums or quantities are unequal; to reduce to a mean.
14. To form, or exist in, a mean or medial sum or quantity; to amount to, or to be, on an average; as, the losses of the owners will average twenty five dollars each; these spars average ten feet in length.
garden-variety, pair off, honest, sufficient, OK, passable, adequate, just, sightly, plain, decent, cut-and-dried, reduce to a mean, reasonable, formulaic, unremarkable, second-rate, undistinguished, par, tolerable, split the difference, tidy, fairish, indifferent, fair, average out, equalize, garden, all right, comely, good, surprise, typical, satisfactory, respectable, strike a balance, acceptable, take the average, bonnie, equate, bonny, modal, goodish, unexceptional, clean, norm
mediocre (part of speech: adjective)
average (part of speech: adjective)
mediocrity (part of speech: noun)
middle (part of speech: noun)
intermediate, heart, axis, axial, half, center, core, nuclear, half-and-half, bisection, kernel, middle, midpoint, hub, central, epicenter, medial, halfway point, bisecting, nucleus, nub, marrow, pivot, pivotal, equidistant, centralized, geocentric, midst
regular (part of speech: adjective)
familiar, mundane, metronomic, periodic, epochal, constant, ordinary, conventional, continual, standard, frequent, everyday, common, predominating, steady, stock, general, orthodox, accustomed, habitual, canonical, recurrent, prevailing, regular, rhythmic, monotonous, routine, customary, universal, traditional, commonplace, cyclical, normal, usual, chronic
- She was well above the average height of woman; a desirable thing in a princess, who, before everything, must impress the public with her dignity. - "The Princess Priscilla's Fortnight", Elizabeth von Arnim.
- I do not believe that there is any other service in the world in which the average of character and efficiency in the enlisted men is as high as is now the case in our own. - "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.
- This average is an absolute quantity. - "The Value of Money", Benjamin M. Anderson, Jr..