Definition of avert:
forefend, fend off, forfend, bend, turn away, knock something on the head, annul, avoid, reject, ward off, turn, obstruct, exclude, void, parry, change, stop, shift, deflect, veer, swing, pivot, quash, squash, turn down, prohibit, turn aside, head off, get in the way of something, obviate, refuse, distract, keep off, study at, thwart, rule out, deviate, preclude, help, eliminate, nullify, invalidate, block, forestall, allow, stave off, debar, rid of, suspend, sidetrack.
- avoid (part of speech: verb)
- dissuade (part of speech: verb)
- defend (part of speech: verb)
- "The Hated Son", Honore de Balzac.
- "Betty Wales Freshman", Edith K. Dunton.
- "The Vision of Desire", Margaret Pedler.