Definition of avoidance:
- A dismissing or a quitting; removal; withdrawal.
- The act of annulling; annulment.
- The act of avoiding or shunning; keeping clear of.
- The act of becoming vacant, or the state of being vacant; - specifically used for the state of a benefice becoming void by the death, deprivation, or resignation of the incumbent.
- The courts by which anything is carried off.
forbearance, abolition, duck, delay, seek, scheme, refraining, escape mechanism, recoil, slip, invalidation, abrogation, continue, evasive action, passive resistance, go-by, defeasance, eschewal, negation, cancellation, abolishment, voidance, brush, abstention, turning away, annihilation, bypass, shunning, nullification, nonparticipation, dodge, annulment, restraint, temperance, sidestepping, extinguishment, dodging.
Lottie had been much subdued and silent since the beginning of the term, and had seemed, if anything, to avoid the society of the girl whom she had treated so badly, but with her fine intuition Pixie had understood quite well that the avoidance arose from no lack of affection.- "Pixie O'Shaughnessy", Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey.
- "The Art of Public Speaking", Dale Carnagey (AKA Dale Carnegie) and J. Berg Esenwein.
- "The Land Of Little Rain", Mary Hunter Austin.