Definition of axle :
1. A transverse bar or shaft connecting the opposite wheels of a car or carriage; an axletree.
2. An axis; as, the sun's axle.
3. The pin or spindle on which a wheel revolves, or which revolves with a wheel.
focus (part of speech: noun)
forum, marrow, intersection, asymptote, essence, lodestar, crossing, heart, focus, kernel, nucleus, gathering, polestar, meat, center, lure, funnel, magnet, bottleneck, soul, rendezvous, plenum, spirit, hub, crux, core, epitome, rally
shaft (part of speech: noun)
- I was delayed some time in getting the wheel off the axle- tree. - "In the Early Days along the Overland Trail in Nebraska Territory, in 1852", Gilbert L. Cole.
- Away in the centre of its base stood a great opal knob, like the axle to a wheel round which he and the green feet kept circling. - "The Field of Clover", Laurence Housman.
- The forest itself fought for us, reaching out to jerk wheels from axle, bringing wagon and team down crashing. - "The Reckoning", Robert W. Chambers.