Definition of baal :
1. any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples; the Hebrews considered Baal a false god
2. The supreme male divinity of the Phoenician and Canaanitish nations.
3. The whole class of divinities to whom the name Baal was applied.
4. The whole class of divinities to whom the name was applied.
- As soon as he recognised Hamilcar he darted towards him, crying: " Pardon, Eye of Baal! - "Salammbo", Gustave Flaubert.
- Isaac had his failings- plenty of them, too; it ain't for me to apologise for Isaac; he played a cold deck on the prophets of Baal, and like enough he was justifiable, considering the odds that was against him. - "The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and Other Stories", Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) Last Updated: February 18, 2009.
- Jehovah and Baal were, in their view, identical as to their essence. - "Christology of the Old Testament: And a Commentary on the Messianic Predictions, v. 1", Ernst Wilhelm Hengstenberg.