Definition of baal:
- any of numerous local fertility and nature deities worshipped by ancient Semitic peoples; the Hebrews considered Baal a false god
- The supreme male divinity of the Phoenician and Canaanitish nations.
- The whole class of divinities to whom the name Baal was applied.
- The whole class of divinities to whom the name was applied.
- "Salammbo", Gustave Flaubert.
Isaac had his failings- plenty of them, too; it ain't for me to apologise for Isaac; he played a cold deck on the prophets of Baal, and like enough he was justifiable, considering the odds that was against him.- "The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg and Other Stories", Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) Last Updated: February 18, 2009.
- "Christology of the Old Testament: And a Commentary on the Messianic Predictions, v. 1", Ernst Wilhelm Hengstenberg.