Definition of backboard:
- A board attached to the rim of a water wheel to prevent the water from running off the floats or paddies into the interior of the wheel.
- A board serving as the back part of anything, as of a wagon.
- A board which supports the back wen one is sitting;
- A board worn across the back to give erectness to the figure.
- A thin stuff used for the backs of framed pictures, mirrors, etc.
In order that I might " bear my body more seemly," various were the methods resorted to; among others, a hideous engine of torture of the backboard species, made of steel covered with red morocco, which consisted of a flat piece placed on my back, and strapped down to my waist with a belt and secured at the top by two epaulets strapped over my shoulders.- "Records of a Girlhood", Frances Ann Kemble.
- "Colonel Thorndyke's Secret", G. A. Henty.
- "Little Rivers A Book Of Essays In Profitable Idleness", Henry van Dyke.