Definition of background:
- A place in obscurity or retirement, or out of sight.
- Anything behind, serving as a foil; as, the statue had a background of red hangings.
- Ground in the rear or behind, or in the distance, as opposed to the foreground, or the ground in front.
- The space which is behind and subordinate to a portrait or group of figures.
footing, circumstance, downplay, training, orbit, solid ground, understate, past, history, priming coat, environment, retiring, framework, earth, cathode-ray oscilloscope, context, backcloth, play down, oscilloscope, primer, setting, mise en scene, priming, primer coat, obscure, backdrop, stage setting, background knowledge, terra firma, knowledge, telescope, compass, unnoticed, screen background, preparation, background signal, place setting, desktop, minimise, upbringing, minimize, education, reason, flat coat, soil, undercoat, ambit, ground, mount, out of sight, reach, un, range, dry land, scope, withdrawn, scene, happen, land, qualifications, basis, credentials.
- "Amusement Only", Richard Marsh.
The lover had fallen, for the time, into the background, and the capable, serious man of thirty, with a considerable experience of the world behind him, was perfectly conscious that there were many difficulties in his path.- "Marcella", Mrs. Humphry Ward.
- "The Bicyclers and Three Other Farces", John Kendrick Bangs.