Definition of backing :
1. of Back
2. Support or aid given to a person or cause.
3. That which is behind, and forms the back of, anything, usually giving strength or stability.
4. The act of moving backward, or of putting or moving anything backward.
5. The preparation of the back of a book with glue, etc., before putting on the cover.
mountain, filling, kapok, abetment, reliever, hand, blues, fill-in, lift, documentation, living, disdain, sustenance, aid, backup, funding, recommendation, ambient, assistance, bhangra, capital, substitute, climb, grubstake, auspice, title, business, saddle horse, pad, reinforcement, acid house, bread and butter, backup man, livelihood, leg up, stand-in, bluegrass, background music, trade, financial support, capitalization, help, flock, riding horse, mount, assist, helping hand, keep, relief, subsidization, reenforcement, stuffing, sponsorship, aegis, endorsement, encouragement, patronage, financial backing, musical accompaniment, computer backup, acid jazz, patronization, accompaniment, financing, clientele, bebop, setting, money, subsidy, stake, championship, boost, condescension
approval (part of speech: noun)
support (part of speech: verb)
supporting (part of speech: verb)
assisting (part of speech: verb)
- The stone of their exterior backing is cold and gray beside the ochre warmth of the surrounding piers. - "Cathedrals of Spain", John A. (John Allyne) Gade.
- There could be only one answer: this clever and astoundingly enterprising young girl had read Valdez, had decided to take a chance, had proved her sporting spirit by backing her judgment, and had started straight as an arrow for the terrifying territory in question. - "Quick Action", Robert W. Chambers.
- He raised his hat, backing from her, holding her in his eyes till he turned. - "The Romantic", May Sinclair.