Definition of backwards:
- By way of reflection; reflexively.
- From a better to a worse state, as from honor to shame, from religion to sin.
- In a contrary or reverse manner, way, or direction; contrarily; as, to read backwards.
- On the back, or with the back downward.
- Toward the back; toward the rear; as, to throw the arms backward.
- Toward, or in, past time or events; ago.
- With the back in advance or foremost; as, to ride backward.
- "The Lamp in the Desert", Ethel M. Dell.
- "Lorna Doone, A Romance of Exmoor", R. D. Blackmore.
- "Benita, An African Romance", H. Rider Haggard.