Definition of baffle:
- A defeat by artifice, shifts, and turns; discomfiture.
- A deflector, as a plate or wall, so arranged across a furnace or boiler flue as to mingle the hot gases and deflect them against the substance to be heated.
- A grating or plate across a channel or pipe conveying water, gas, or the like, by which the flow is rendered more uniform in different parts of the cross section of the stream; - used in measuring the rate of flow, as by means of a weir.
- A lever for operating the throttle valve of a winding engine.
- To cause to undergo a disgraceful punishment, as a recreant knight.
- To check by perplexing; to disconcert, frustrate, or defeat; to thwart.
- To check by shifts and turns; to elude; to foil.
- To practice deceit.
- To struggle against in vain; as, a ship baffles with the winds.
astonish, lay, govern, flap, bumble, dumbfound, fumble, indulge, pass over, get across, regulate, draw, mess up, bring, screw up, get down, model, develop, crucify, become, shape, begin, get at, bollocks up, tick, have, obtain, suffer, stimulate, flub, cling, fix, perplex, itch, come, violate, puzzle, beat, sustain, mar, span, bollix up, nark, order, track, allow, cover, mother, checkmate, cleave, devil, louse up, dun, cut through, botch, tucker out, set about, stump, capture, go bad, find, mollycoddle, convey, ticktock, pamper, scram, personate, vitiate, pay back, frustrate, wedge, muck up, fluff, position, make, cut the ground from under, mold, interbreed, engender, get over, cross, acquire, gravel, beat up, vanquish, vex, influence, outwit, peril, shell, get under one's skin, bugger off, bedevil, expose, thrum, bobble, rag, sire, deposit, determine, lodge, adhere, bungle, bollocks, bind, throw, receive, cohere, amaze, foul up, buzz off, fetch, elude, spoil, intersect, rape, induce, present, set out, disturb, annoy, evade, trounce, regularise, take, regularize, discombobulate, hybridize, nettle, stick to, sweep, set, foil, posture, defeat, pulsate, corrupt, pay off, torment, sting, stick by, prevent, rile, astound, cause, cocker, cosset, put, stir up, bother, drive, outfox, crossbreed, sit, tucker, retard, bollix, stun, stick, plunder, ticktack, father, scotch, queer, counteract, bodge, stick around, overreach, embarrass, hybridise, mishandle, coddle, baffle board, get to, generate, despoil, commence, featherbed, work over, beat out, crush, mystify, thump, contract, modulate, arrive, pound, bewilder, chafe, bilk, start out, impersonate, pose, traverse, cut across, aim, endanger, let, hold fast, incur, flummox, stupefy, balk, experience, go, drum, exhaust, worry, stymie, commove, grow, botch up, get, muff, scupper, besot, bring forth, irritate, thwart, bunk, agitate, stand by, outsmart, deflower, produce, circumvent, ball up, bond, scramble, shake up, stay put, baby, blow, arrest, beget, place, quiver, wash up, raise up, bemuse, start, nonplus.
- confuse (part of speech: verb)
hinder (part of speech: verb)
What other poem contains so many thoughts that one instinctively remembers as having heard before, so many involved allusions that baffle the imagination of the keenest, and so much sound in so many words?- "Kai Lung's Golden Hours", Ernest Bramah Commentator: Hilaire Belloc.
- "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
The next day it appeared that the doctors of Bridgeboro were not quite equal to coping with poor Blythe's case, and the Bridgeboro Record stated that a specialist from New York had been summoned to determine whether the desperate scoundrel was feigning unconsciousness in order to baffle the authorities.- "Roy Blakeley in the Haunted Camp", Percy Keese Fitzhugh.