Definition of bail:
- A bucket or scoop used in bailing water out of a boat.
- A certain limit within a forest.
- A division for the stalls of an open stable.
- A half hoop for supporting the cover of a carrier's wagon, awning of a boat, etc.
- A line of palisades serving as an exterior defense.
- Custody; keeping.
- The arched handle of a kettle, pail, or similar vessel, usually movable.
- The person or persons who procure the release of a prisoner from the custody of the officer, or from imprisonment, by becoming surely for his appearance in court.
- The security given for the appearance of a prisoner in order to obtain his release from custody of the officer; as, the man is out on bail; to go bail for any one.
- The top or cross piece ( or either of the two cross pieces) of the wicket.
- To deliver, as goods in trust, for some special object or purpose, upon a contract, expressed or implied, that the trust shall be faithfully executed on the part of the bailee, or person intrusted; as, to bail cloth to a tailor to be made into a garment; to bail goods to a carrier.
- To deliver; to release.
- To dip or lade water from; - often with out to express completeness; as, to bail a boat.
- To lade; to dip and throw; - usually with out; as, to bail water out of a boat.
- To set free, or deliver from arrest, or out of custody, on the undertaking of some other person or persons that he or they will be responsible for the appearance, at a certain day and place, of the person bailed.
back out, impound, recognizance, quit, escaped, bail out, alliance, pack, pawn, clear out, alienate, shove, bondsman, forfeit, adhesiveness, disqualification, hamper, bust out, go off, call off, bond, bug off, sally, take off, depart, trammel, get, alienation, bailsman, get off, bugger off, move, book, vamoose, bug out, break out, assign, pike, disqualify, damages, forget, shackle, cut out, warrant, peel off, push on, dig out, exit, scarper, cancel, adhesion, push off, bail bond, guaranty, assignment, discharge, think better of something, earnest, blind trust, security, walk out, hostage, breakout, bond certificate, buzz, knock something on the head, back down, pledge, escapee, attest, clear off, cause, hold back, step, forgo, surety, pull back, bond paper, chemical bond, gage, pull out, noncustodial, part, community service, begone, cancellation, law, attachment, extradition, fine, adherence, free, cry off, collateral, run along.
- "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
If you wish to cure a boy of a fondness for the sea, send him a good long voyage with a godly captain, and I'll be bail that he comes home as lean as a weazel, and most thoroughly disgusted at the very thoughts of a ship.- "An Old Sailor's Yarns", Nathaniel Ames.
- "They of the High Trails", Hamlin Garland.