Definition of bailiff:
- A sheriff's deputy, appointed to make arrests, collect fines, summon juries, etc.
- An overseer or under steward of an estate, who directs husbandry operations, collects rents, etc.
- Originally, a person put in charge of something especially, a chief officer, magistrate, or keeper, as of a county, town, hundred, or castle; one to whom power of custody or care are intrusted.
- "The Memoires of Casanova, Complete The Rare Unabridged London Edition Of 1894, plus An Unpublished Chapter of History, By Arthur Symons", Jacques Casanova de Seingalt.
- "Eight Years' Wandering in Ceylon", Samuel White Baker.
- "The Exemplary Novels of Cervantes", Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.