Definition of ball:
- A flaming, roundish body shot into the air; a case filled with combustibles intended to burst and give light or set fire, or to produce smoke or stench; as, a fire ball; a stink ball.
- A general name for games in which a ball is thrown, kicked, or knocked. See Baseball, and Football.
- A large pill, a form in which medicine is commonly given to horses; a bolus.
- A leather- covered cushion, fastened to a handle called a ballstock; - formerly used by printers for inking the form, but now superseded by the roller.
- A pitched ball, not struck at by the batsman, which fails to pass over the home base at a height not greater than the batsman's shoulder nor less than his knee.
- A roundish protuberant portion of some part of the body; as, the ball of the thumb; the ball of the foot.
- A social assembly for the purpose of dancing.
- A spherical body of any substance or size used to play with, as by throwing, knocking, kicking, etc.
- Any round or roundish body or mass; a sphere or globe; as, a ball of twine; a ball of snow.
- Any solid spherical, cylindrical, or conical projectile of lead or iron, to be discharged from a firearm; as, a cannon ball; a rifle ball; -- often used collectively; as, powder and ball. Spherical balls for the smaller firearms are commonly called bullets.
- The globe or earth.
- To form or wind into a ball; as, to ball cotton.
- To gather balls which cling to the feet, as of damp snow or clay; to gather into balls; as, the horse balls; the snow balls.
- To heat in a furnace and form into balls for rolling.
orchis, dribble, crank, freak, clustering, ceilidh, jai alai, junky, delivery, crescent, eyeball, shape, band, stumblebum, earth, knot, formal, consummate, at bat, make love, twist, knees-up, calf, screwball, lout, appendage, beach ball, take control, thud, gawk, egg, work, puffiness, arm, globe, hoedown, lacrosse, sleep together, ballock, hunk, dinner gown, arch, ball girl, lump, clunk, world, ball game, armpit, coil, musket ball, bullet, base, hop, bollock, disco, corner, clod, bulge, batboy, party, backhand, balk, corroboree, catch, chip, blast, goon, baseball, bend, drop, glob, cluster, hurling, manage, bat, lubber, nut case, ball boy, lead, bunch, open up, baseline, testicle, lummox, reception, barn dance, dive, bear the burden, addict, ammunition, badminton, crotch, dinner dress, big toe, evening gown, masked ball, dinner dance, bullock block, crackpot, clubfoot, junkie, chunk, balloon, cross, netball, bowl, copulate, ankle, baseball game, nut, croquet, swelling, dance, eggs, handball, bed, testis, clump, marble, sleep with, orb, sport, birdie, straighten, jump into bed with someone, thumping, en, curl, form, take command, cone, pellet, be intimate with someone, thump, promenade, fruitcake, shot, spend the night with someone, oaf, pelota, ballpark, circle, bubble, shell, deform, lie with, reshape.
- "Dollars and Sense", Col. Wm. C. Hunter.
- "Life of Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen, (Victoria) Vol II", Sarah Tytler.
- "Patsy", S. R. Crockett.