Definition of banter:
- The act of bantering; joking or jesting; humorous or good- humored raillery; pleasantry.
- To address playful good- natured ridicule to, - the person addressed, or something pertaining to him, being the subject of the jesting; to rally; as, he bantered me about my credulity.
- To challenge or defy to a match.
- To delude or trick, - esp. by way of jest.
- To jest about; to ridicule in speaking of, as some trait, habit, characteristic, and the like.
irony, teasing, badinage, give-and-take, taunt, sarcasm, backchat, mockery, raillery, reciprocation, laughter, interchange, satire, jeering, derision, chaff, word, josh, kid, ribbing, jolly, pull the leg of, fun, discussion, ridicule, joking.
- "An Outcast of the Islands", Joseph Conrad.
- "Andrew the Glad", Maria Thompson Daviess.
Call it sin if you will- and my knowledge of it has something to do with my present determination, for, weak though I am, and bad though you think me- But I don't think you bad, dear Shank, cried May, with tearful eyes; I never said so, and never thought so, and- Come, come, May, interrupted the youth, with something of banter in his manner, you don't think me good, do you?- "Charlie to the Rescue", R.M. Ballantyne.