Definition of base :
1. A kind of skirt ( often of velvet or brocade, but sometimes of mailed armor) which hung from the middle to about the knees, or lower.
2. A line in a survey which, being accurately determined in length and position, serves as the origin from which to compute the distances and positions of any points or objects connected with it by a system of triangles.
3. A low, or deep, sound. ( Mus.) ( a) The lowest part; the deepest male voice. ( b) One who sings, or the instrument which plays, base.
4. A place or tract of country, protected by fortifications, or by natural advantages, from which the operations of an army proceed, forward movements are made, supplies are furnished, etc.
5. A rustic play; - called also prisoner's base, prison base, or bars.
6. A substance used as a mordant.
7. Alloyed with inferior metal; debased; as, base coin; base bullion.
8. An apron.
9. Any one of the four bounds which mark the circuit of the infield.
10. Deep or grave in sound; as, the base tone of a violin.
11. Fig.: The fundamental or essential part of a thing; the essential principle; a groundwork.
12. Illegitimate by birth; bastard.
13. Low in place or position.
14. Morally low. Hence: Low- minded; unworthy; without dignity of sentiment; ignoble; mean; illiberal; menial; as, a base fellow; base motives; base occupations.
15. Not classical or correct.
16. Not held by honorable service; as, a base estate, one held by services not honorable; held by villenage. Such a tenure is called base, or low, and the tenant, a base tenant.
17. Of little comparative value, as metal inferior to gold and silver, the precious metals.
18. Of little, or less than the usual, height; of low growth; as, base shrubs.
19. That extremity of a leaf, fruit, etc., at which it is attached to its support.
20. That part of an organ by which it is attached to another more central organ.
21. The basal plane of a crystal.
22. The bottom of anything, considered as its support, or that on which something rests for support; the foundation; as, the base of a statue.
23. The chief ingredient in a compound.
24. The exterior side of the polygon, or that imaginary line which connects the salient angles of two adjacent bastions.
25. The ground mass of a rock, especially if not distinctly crystalline.
26. The housing of a horse.
27. The line or surface constituting that part of a figure on which it is supposed to stand.
28. The lower part of a complete architectural design, as of a monument; also, the lower part of any elaborate piece of furniture or decoration.
29. The lower part of a robe or petticoat.
30. The lower part of a wall, pier, or column, when treated as a separate feature, usually in projection, or especially ornamented.
31. The lower part of the field. See Escutcheon.
32. The number from which a mathematical table is constructed; as, the base of a system of logarithms.
33. The point or line from which a start is made; a starting place or a goal in various games.
34. The positive, or non- acid component of a salt; a substance which, combined with an acid, neutralizes the latter and forms a salt; -- applied also to the hydroxides of the positive elements or radicals, and to certain organic bodies resembling them in their property of forming salts with acids.
35. The smallest kind of cannon.
36. To abase; to let, or cast, down; to lower.
37. To put on a base or basis; to lay the foundation of; to found, as an argument or conclusion; - used with on or upon.
38. To reduce the value of; to debase.
paltry, plinth, undercoat, institution, confines, rack, detestable, underpin, exponent, hind end, agrochemical, fanny, stern, chemical, compound, amoral, storey, install, billet, stolid, story, flooring, secondary, convenience food, source, big business, foundation garment, tie-up, tooth root, buns, mingy, alkali, friend, unethical, infantry, ground, ignorant, mean, send, establish, sales booth, beginning, snide, ungenerous, installation, posterior, organization, topic, standpoint, club, panel, headquarters, nates, suitcase, buttocks, tooshie, corner, bandstand, vile, flash mob, ball, reside, institute, ascendant, rear end, behind, sponsor, creation, prove, advocate, agent, origin, common multiple, insensible, lowly, stalk, old bag, wrong, servile, edge, brute, theme, dishonourable, flash mobbing, coefficient, trading floor, family, group, strand, comfort food, home, nucleotide, arse, association, plant, give, stupid, make, proponent, rear, baseborn, root word, outdoor stage, pedestal, follower, grounding, back, instal, musical theme, habitation, hateful, metrical foot, substructure, domicile, place, inhabit, found, rump, rootage, execrable, primary, at bat, tush, bastardly, carboniferous, sensual, constitute, lowborn, contemptible, whereabouts, al-Qaeda, perverted, modest, basis, bag, wretched, settle down, anchor, rest, udder, ball girl, acquisition, low-down, small, al-Qa'ida, humble, evil, ft, basal, abode, seat, settle, generalship, dairy, melodic theme, live, post, ball boy, pocketbook, arrive, build, backside, over, cube, acid, home plate, setting, report, stem turn, innovation, brim, bestial, computation, ascendent, aphrodisiac, unintellectual, fore, derriere, center, set up, stand, baseball, venue, creole, butt, rest home, underpinning, travelling bag, bump, subject, understructure, level, apex, menage, squat, junior-grade, nursing home, bagful, hindquarters, keister, human foot, footing, slavish, despicable, baseline, bed, blue chip, constant, point of view, board, dwelling, imbruted, pes, paper, radix, shew, infrastructure, introduction, location, site, chloride, currish, element, base of operations, invertebrate foot, supporter, batboy, bow, station, agency, stem, animal foot, arithmetic progression, subaltern, prow, carbohydrate, confectionery, ballpark, show, detail, motif, composition, groundwork, sympathizer, origination, complex, prat, solution, brutal, ideologue, dirty, free radical, chemical group, bum, cornerstone, substratum, beastly, beggarly, tight, ancestor, launch, etymon, cube root, cup of tea, founding, garrison, grip, idea, viewpoint, lower-ranking, handbag, tail, instauration, house, populate, police, menial, locale, affiliate, baby food, low-minded, dwelling house, sottish, fundament, home base, can, commission, support group, predicate, run aground, fort, the biz, petty, dishonorable, tail end, al-Qaida, deviant, purse, household, average, common factor, bust, rudiment, prime, miserly, dish, account, lascivious, imitative, free-base, stall, words, root, scene, demonstrate, plate, ass, footstall, meanspirited, metrical unit, unspiritual, floor, swinish, shank, traveling bag, Arabic numeral, balk, lay down, radical, dog tag, inferior, come from, adherent, initiation, bevel, counterfeit, standstill, antecedent, illegitimate, nasty, fatigues
causes (part of speech: noun)
earthy (part of speech: adjective)
bottom (part of speech: noun)
low (part of speech: adjective)
study at mean
wicked (part of speech: adjective)
corrupt, criminal, perverse, degenerate, debauched, felonious, black, improper, indecent, shocking, wrongdoing, iniquitous, debased, sadistic, lawbreaking, evildoing, villainous, damnable, misdoing, reprehensible, sinful, sinister, wicked, obnoxious, bad, immoral, blameworthy
vulgar (part of speech: adjective)
garish, degraded, scandalous, profane, chintzy, depraved, obscene, glaring, crass, earthy, barnyard, salty, homespun, unpolished, tactless, sordid, revolting, low, idiomatic, animal, outlandish, common, sleazy, unbecoming, boorish, rank, brazen, ignominious, undignified, rude, colloquial, repulsive, raw, crude, graceless, tasteless, coarse-grained, inelegant, ill-bred, tawdry, unrefined, barbaric, broad, shameless, gross, coarse, unseemly, indelicate, in bad taste, clumsy, cockney, rough, philistine, cheap, offensive, vulgar, ignoble, gaudy, brutish
- If he were so base as to prefer half her fortune to herself, she should, she said, think herself happy in having escaped from such a traitor. - "Tales & Novels, Vol. IX [Contents: Harrington; Thoughts on Bores; Ormond]", Maria Edgeworth.
- " Terra base to Foster. - "Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet", Harold Leland Goodwin.
- It was my design to make myself independent of my base. - "Danger! and Other Stories", Arthur Conan Doyle.