Definition of basin:
- A circular or oval valley, or depression of the surface of the ground, the lowest part of which is generally occupied by a lake, or traversed by a river.
- A hollow place containing water, as a pond, a dock for ships, a little bay.
- A hollow vessel or dish, to hold water for washing, and for various other uses.
- A hollow vessel, of various forms and materials, used in the arts or manufactures, as that used by glass grinders for forming concave glasses, by hatters for molding a hat into shape, etc.
- An isolated or circumscribed formation, particularly where the strata dip inward, on all sides, toward a center; - especially applied to the coal formations, called coal basins or coal fields.
- The entire tract of country drained by a river, or sloping towards a sea or lake.
- The quantity contained in a basin.
aerosol, depression, drainage basin, bank, landing, bottle, lavatory, dry dock, sag, coast, bath, lav, wash-hand stand, turning point, cape, dale, hot tub, harbor, ampoule, bight, shower, coastline, landmark, berth, can, handbasin, sinkhole, ewer, bay, toilet, basinful, gulley, lavabo, Jacuzzi, territory, container, barrel, washbasin, drainage area, beach, divide, pit, gorge, bund, gulch, harbour, convex, wash-hand basin, douche, mudbath, washstand, dip, butt, hollow, atomizer, privy, watershed, pan, catchment basin, canyon, washbowl, jetty, catchment area, box canyon, flush toilet, john, bathroom, anchorage, bidet, water parting, dishpan, bucket, dock, dell, concavity, dockyard, arroyo, glen, river basin.
- "The Hunters of the Hills", Joseph Altsheler.
- "The Bondboy", George W. (George Washington) Ogden.
- "The Little Dog Trusty; The Orange Man; and the Cherry Orchard; Being the Tenth Part of Early Lessons (1801)", Maria Edgeworth.