Definition of battery :
1. A company or division of artillery, including the gunners, guns, horses, and all equipments. In the United States, a battery of flying artillery consists usually of six guns.
2. A number of coated jars ( Leyden jars) so connected that they may be charged and discharged simultaneously.
3. A number of similar machines or devices in position; an apparatus consisting of a set of similar parts; as, a battery of boilers, of retorts, condensers, etc.
4. A series of stamps operated by one motive power, for crushing ores containing the precious metals.
5. An apparatus for generating voltaic electricity.
6. Any place where cannon or mortars are mounted, for attack or defense.
7. The act of battering or beating.
8. The box in which the stamps for crushing ore play up and down.
9. The pitcher and catcher together.
10. The unlawful beating of another. It includes every willful, angry and violent, or negligent touching of another's person or clothes, or anything attached to his person or held by him.
11. Two or more pieces of artillery in the field.
package, bunch, photoelectric cell, lot, arms, recharger, arson, array, assemblage, bale, power plant, bank, agglomeration, clump, passel, party, clutch, consort, muster, armed, clot, shelling, barrage fire, stamp battery, cell, beating, stranger crime, barrage, body, boodle, assault and battery, assault, batch, cluster, crop, armory, domestic violence, battery pack, collection, armaments, bombing, armoury, mayhem, suite, huddle, capacitor, photovoltaic cell, outpouring, dry battery, kidnap, bevy, solar cell, gender violence, onslaught, block, incitement, constellation, bombardment, grouping, attack, arsenal, assembly, assortment, parcel, electric battery, ammo, band, series, set, disorderly conduct, knot
weapon (part of speech: noun)
cutlass, cannon, ammunition, arrow, blunderbuss, ax, trigger, Sidewinder, Remington, claymore, bullet, bayonet, shell, artillery, stiletto, piece, torpedo, peashooter, howitzer, sword, rifle, flamethrower, gun, missile, firearm, knife, spear, shooter, heater, Browning, blowpipe, ordnance, bazooka, machine gun, rocket, musket, blowgun, handgun, machete, lance, weapon, broadsword, pistol, armament, revolver, bomber, repeater, saber, carbine, Colt, mortar, luger, scimitar, mace, weaponry, boomerang, muzzle, bow and arrow, Winchester, shotgun, rapier, club, dagger, bilbo, javelin
- We're at the Battery. - "Two Boys and a Fortune", Matthew White, Jr..
- With all lights masked and the crews at the guns, the squadron moved silently through the passage with no other opposition than three shots from a single battery. - "The United States Since The Civil War", Charles Ramsdell Lingley.
- Mr. Talboys gave Mr. Fountain a look, and very soon began to play his battery upon David. - "Love Me Little, Love Me Long", Charles Reade Edition: 10 Language: English.