Definition of battle:
- A division of an army; a battalion.
- A general action, fight, or encounter, in which all the divisions of an army are or may be engaged; an engagement; a combat.
- A struggle; a contest; as, the battle of life.
- Fertile. See Battel, a.
- The main body, as distinct from the van and rear; battalia.
- To assail in battle; to fight.
- To join in battle; to contend in fight; as, to battle over theories.
participation, dispute, havoc, difference of opinion, fray, ravage, employment, scrap, involvement, tug of war, struggle, race, strife, combat, contend, retreat, confrontation, contention, skirmish, bout, onset, carnage, appointment, mesh, involution, blitz, engage in a battle, date, press, difference, bombing, competition, action, blitzkrieg, striving, brush, troth, rivalry, conflict, wrestle, engagement, fight, affray, affair, meshing, fighting, encounter, duel, interlocking, tilt, competitiveness, booking, passage of arms, corrivalry, betrothal, clash.
- attack (part of speech: noun)
- warfare (part of speech: noun)
- battle (part of speech: verb)
- "How I Found Livingstone", Sir Henry M. Stanley.
- "The Eustace Diamonds", Anthony Trollope.
- "The Valley of Vision", Henry Van Dyke.