Definition of bean :
1. A name given to the seed of certain leguminous herbs, chiefly of the genera Faba, Phaseolus, and Dolichos; also, to the herbs.
2. Of or pertaining to Attica, in Greece, or to Athens, its principal city; marked by such qualities as were characteristic of the Athenians; classical; refined.
3. The popular name of other vegetable seeds or fruits, more or less resembling true beans.
node, pill, covered stadium, reveal, kernel, noddle, pulse, legume, loft, string bean, nodule, seed, bullet, grain, body, tell secrets, berry, dome, poll, nut, pod, domed stadium, conk, garret, bean plant, attic, block, knot, tell, noodle, edible bean, nugget, bonce, talk
head (part of speech: noun)
- First mashing liquor 165, mash one hour, stand one hour, run down smartly; second mash 170, mash one hour, stand one hour, run down as before; third mash 180, mash half an hour, stand half an hour, run down smartly; divide these three runs into two boilings, boil your first copper as hard as you can for half an hour, the second for three hours as hard as possible; pitch your first wort at 65 degrees, with 10 gallons of smooth yest; pitch your second at 70 degrees, with six gallons, both runs to mix in the same tun, as soon as the head of your tun begins to fall and close, which will possibly happen from thirty to forty hours, at which time it is expected the fermenting heat will rise to 80, but in no case should it be suffered to exceed it; two pecks of bean meal flour, with two pounds of bay salt mixed together, should be evenly scattered over the surface of the tun, before cleansing, and then well roused. - "The American Practical Brewer and Tanner", Joseph Coppinger.
- You're quite, quite sensible, I know; quite sensible, dear; but for my sake, Robert, my Harry's good friend, only for my sake, let yourself be a carried to a clean, nice bed, till I get Dr. Bean to you. - "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
- When the flowers fade, they are succeeded by the coffee- bean, or seed, which is inclosed in a berry of a red colour, when ripe resembling a cherry. - "The Book of Household Management", Mrs. Isabella Beeton.