Definition of bearing:
- Any single emblem or charge in an escutcheon or coat of arms - commonly in the pl.
- Improperly, the unsupported span; as, the beam has twenty feet of bearing between its supports.
- Patient endurance; suffering without complaint.
- Purport; meaning; intended significance; aspect.
- That part of any member of a building which rests upon its supports; as, a lintel or beam may have four inches of bearing upon the wall.
- The act, power, or time of producing or giving birth; as, a tree in full bearing; a tree past bearing.
- The line of flotation of a vessel when properly trimmed with cargo or ballast.
- The manner in which one bears or conducts one's self; mien; behavior; carriage.
- The part of an axle or shaft in contact with its support, collar, or boxing; the journal.
- The part of the support on which a journal rests and rotates.
- The portion of a support on which anything rests.
- The situation of a distant object, with regard to a ship's position, as on the bow, on the lee quarter, etc.; the direction or point of the compass in which an object is seen; as, the bearing of the cape was W. N. W.
- The situation of one object, with respect to another, such situation being supposed to have a connection with the object, or influence upon it, or to be influenced by it; hence, relation; connection.
- The widest part of a vessel below the plank- sheer.
gallery, baby carriage, passenger car, approach, application, bang, armorial bearing, electric charge, perambulator, appositeness, cathexis, concernment, accusation, object, rush, pivot, burster, explosive charge, objective, stroller, target, thrill, relevant, intent, military strength, baby buggy, pushchair, germaneness, pusher, port, mission, situation, address, charge, sort, intention, bursting charge, drift, rig, strength, fulcrum, frame, billing, heraldic bearing, care, tutelage, boot, relevancy, design, presence, pram, go-cart, military capability, purpose, block, place, military posture, coach, be, style, complaint, posture, pertinency, commission, front, guardianship, kick, attitude, header, stance, materiality, expression, head, equipage, flush, fashion.
- bearing (part of speech: noun)
- carrying (part of speech: verb)
- relevance (part of speech: noun)
- bringing (part of speech: verb)
- appearance (part of speech: noun)
- abiding (part of speech: verb)
- heading (part of speech: verb)
- behavior (part of speech: noun)
- direction (part of speech: noun)
- "The Star-Gazers", George Manville Fenn.
- "Heart and Soul", Victor Mapes (AKA Maveric Post).
- "The Radio Amateur's Hand Book", A. Frederick Collins.