Definition of beneath:
- Below, as opposed to heaven, or to any superior region or position; as, in earth beneath.
- In a lower place; underneath.
- Lower in place, with something directly over or on; under; underneath; hence, at the foot of.
- Lower in rank, dignity, or excellence than; as, brutes are beneath man; man is beneath angels in the scale of beings. Hence: Unworthy of; unbecoming.
- Under, in relation to something that is superior, or that oppresses or burdens.
subterranean, underlying, down the stairs, underwater, lower, thinly, class-conscious, bourgeois, on a lower floor, classless, underfoot, classism, inferior, lesser, encrusted, clothed, the bourgeoisie, background, unsuitable, unbefitting, class, downstairs, thickly, infra, below, at a lower place, crusted, subordinate, caked, birth, beginnings, underground, to a lower place, be tipped with something.
- "Way of the Lawless", Max Brand.
You see, when my father was very young, scarcely more than a boy, he ran away and married a girl of great beauty and intelligence, but one considered by the people among whom he moved as far beneath him in station.- "Lucile Triumphant", Elizabeth M. Duffield.
- "Rough Stone Monuments and Their Builders", T. Eric Peet.