Definition of benefice :
1. A favor or benefit.
2. An ecclesiastical living and church preferment, as in the Church of England; a church endowed with a revenue for the maintenance of divine service. See Advowson.
3. An estate in lands; a fief.
4. To endow with a benefice.
- Who would care, in a thousand years, what rent was paid by the tenant farmers of the Abbey, or who received a certain benefice from the King? - "In the Days of the Guild", Louise Lamprey.
- Thus arose his appeal to his wealthy and powerful relative, Sir Samuel, and his final nomination to a country benefice, for in the country the doctor said that he must live- unless he wished to die. - "Love Eternal", H. Rider Haggard.
- Not the best benefice in your worships gift Sir. - "The Scornful Lady", Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher.