Definition of bethlehem:
- A hospital for lunatics; - corrupted into bedlam.
- a small town near Jerusalem on the west bank of the Jordan River where Jesus was born
- a small town near Jerusalem on the west bank of the Jordan River; early home of David and regarded as the place where Jesus was born
- a town in eastern Pennsylvania on the Lehigh River northwest of Philadelphia; an important center for steel production
- In the Ethiopic church, a small building attached to a church edifice, in which the bread for the eucharist is made.
They therefore made an attack on Bethlehem with the choicest of their forces, and entrenched themselves there, with the Canaanite city of Jebus as their base, so as to separate Judah entirely from Benjamin, and cut off the little army quartered round Hebron from the reinforcements which the central tribes would otherwise have sent to its aid.- "History Of Egypt, Chaldĉa, Syria, Babylonia, and Assyria, Volume 6 (of 12)", G. Maspero.
But even their dreams never touched the golden reality, for they did not know that he was to be the grandfather of King David, that in this same little town of Bethlehem there was to be born of his line a greater King yet, the King of Heaven.- "The Babe in the Bulrushes", Amy Steedman.
- "The Children's Book of Christmas Stories", Various.