Definition of bible :
1. A book containing the sacred writings belonging to any religion; as, the Koran is often called the Mohammedan Bible.
2. A book with an authoritative exposition of some topic, respected by many who are experts in the field.
3. A book.
4. The Book by way of eminence, - that is, the book which is made up of the writings accepted by Christians as of divine origin and authority, whether such writings be in the original language, or translated; the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments.
record, news, intelligence, authority, leger, script, discussion, sacred scripture, Good Book, Holy Writ, book, canon, record book, text, rule book, tidings, countersign, book of account, parole, word, Word of God, password, Holy Scripture, manual, volume, Testament, creed, guide, guidebook, ledger, watchword, handbook, Scripture, word of honor, al-Qur'an, give-and-take, playscript, account book
bible (part of speech: noun)
- Miss Torrington entered, and, to her great astonishment, saw Mr. Cartwright seated beside Fanny, a large Bible lying open on the table before them. - "The Vicar of Wrexhill", Mrs [Frances] Trollope.
- This ceased at last; he shut the Bible, and put it aside. - "John Halifax, Gentleman", Dinah Maria Mulock Craik.
- " Why, if you mean the Bible," said Mr. Cane, " it is in on the parlor table." - "Sube Cane", Edward Bellamy Partridge.