Definition of bilk:
- A cheat; a trick; a hoax.
- A person who tricks a creditor; an untrustworthy, tricky person.
- A thwarting an adversary in cribbage by spoiling his score; a balk.
- Nonsense; vain words.
- To frustrate or disappoint; to deceive or defraud, by nonfulfillment of engagement; to leave in the lurch; to give the slip to; as, to bilk a creditor.
cosset, dodge, traverse, go bad, cut across, pose, baby, rag, perplex, botch up, interbreed, frustrate, mystify, amaze, flub, fluff, flimflam, queer, deflower, put off, dun, ball up, span, cozen, muck up, torment, expose, do, indulge, coddle, itch, regulate, pass over, muff, take, dumbfound, foul up, endanger, elude, victimize, mulct, fumble, hybridise, peril, baffle, impair, mar, get across, hedge, crossbreed, bumble, cut through, violate, circumvent, blow, get over, trim, gravel, stupefy, mishandle, bedevil, mess up, puzzle, chisel, foil, louse up, escape, botch, parry, sidestep, nonplus, track, bodge, rook, sting, thwart, honest, corrupt, despoil, vex, bewilder, bollocks up, scotch, duck, bollix, sweep, scupper, spoil, bobble, bollix up, cocker, stick, pamper, rape, hybridize, featherbed, fudge, crucify, evade, cross, bungle, gull, cover, diddle, gyp, screw up, mollycoddle, beat, plunder, bollocks, vitiate, get, intersect, flummox, skirt.
- "Merry-Garden and Other Stories", Sir Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.
- "Wild Justice: Stories of the South Seas", Lloyd Osbourne.
Accordingly, the grisly Shade to bilk, Each morn the patient quaff'd a frothy bowl Of asinine new milk, Robbing a shaggy suckling of a foal Which got proportionably spare and skinny- Meanwhile the neighbors cried Poor Mary Ann!- "The Poetical Works of Thomas Hood", Thomas Hood.