Definition of bit :
1. 3d sing. pr. of Bid, for biddeth.
2. A part of anything, such as may be bitten off or taken into the mouth; a morsel; a bite. Hence: A small piece of anything; a little; a mite.
3. A tool for boring, of various forms and sizes, usually turned by means of a brace or bitstock. See Bitstock.
4. Fig.: Anything which curbs or restrains.
5. imp. & p. p. of Bite.
6. In the British West Indies, a fourpenny piece, or groat.
7. In the Southern and Southwestern States, a small silver coin ( as the real) formerly current; commonly, one worth about 12 12 cents; also, the sum of 12 12 cents.
8. Somewhat; something, but not very great.
9. The cutting iron of a plane.
10. The part of a bridle, usually of iron, which is inserted in the mouth of a horse, and having appendages to which the reins are fastened.
11. The part of a key which enters the lock and acts upon the bolt and tumblers.
12. To put a bridle upon; to put the bit in the mouth of.
bout, trickle, while, play, min, little, driblet, minute of arc, chomp, billet, crisp, sprinkling, cow chip, smudge, dapple, dot, modus operandi, chip shot, buffalo chip, excerpt, procedure, lump, minimum, post, potato chip, fight, position, consequence, instant, smirch, mote, arcminute, snatch, identification number, act, slur, turning, s, slit, geek, cunt, microchip, crook, time, quantity, daub, pip, second base, infinitude, splintering, grab, secondment, whisker, hairbreadth, trash, rubbish, curb, snap, drift, maculation, squib, cow dung, dollop, piece of music, check, turn of events, present moment, deed, stub, stump, oddball, subprogram, hair, situation, specimen, moment, dose, poker chip, hour, tolerance, words, section, arcsecond, molecule, pussy, opus, go, smear, import, snack, scruple, injured, minim, wink, composition, speckle, ort, inch, indorsement, endorsement, place, berth, story, good turn, human action, art object, jot, fragment, small-arm, snowflake, blot, sliver, fleck, kidnapping, chipping, minute, big, mo, microprocessor chip, flake, stung, bend, catch, firearm, here and now, second, atomic number 42, action, eccentric person, item, chicken feed, ounce, sec, bite, snippet, taste, function, routine, subroutine, raciness, jiffy, shard, collation, spotlight, moiety, halter, spot, mouthful, spell, paragraph, tour, turn, lick, musical composition, man, irregular, molybdenum, objet d'art, dram, tittle, puss, enactment, sharpness, office, twist, hint, issue, eccentric, phone number, trifle, patch, sting, sample, gag, snip, butt, round, chip, space, margin, droplet, maximum, topographic point, silicon chip, insect bite, telephone number, fighting, splinter, human activity, stain, pungency, combat, snaffle, twat, pinch, micro chip, second gear, scale
number (part of speech: noun)
participate (part of speech: verb)
ate (part of speech: verb)
particle (part of speech: noun)
portion (part of speech: noun)
interest, partition, parcel, proportion, half, compartment, piece, dividend, cut, slice, lot, helping, chunk, quantum, split, stake, measure, portion, allotment, member, allowance, ration, quota, sector, segment, part, share, division, subdivision, stock, commission, fraction, percentage, zone, budget
perforator (part of speech: noun)