Definition of bittersweet:
- A climbing shrub, with oval coral- red berries ( Solanum dulcamara); woody nightshade. The whole plant is poisonous, and has a taste at first sweetish and then bitter. The branches are the officinal dulcamara.
- A kind of apple so called.
- An American woody climber ( Celastrus scandens), whose yellow capsules open late in autumn, and disclose the red aril which covers the seeds; - also called Roxbury waxwork.
- Anything which is bittersweet.
- Sweet and then bitter or bitter and then sweet; esp. sweet with a bitter after taste; hence ( Fig.), pleasant but painful.
sad, chocolatey, climbing nightshade, climbing bittersweet, brackish, belladonna plant, waxwork, deadly nightshade, tasteful, acidic, terrible, fiery, heartbreaking, poisonous nightshade, staff vine, semisweet, miserable, false bittersweet, tragic, dismal, chocolate, upsetting, Celastrus scandens, bittersweet nightshade, American Bittersweet, flavored, bitter, wax figure, unhappy, Solanum dulcamara, belladonna, depressing, woody nightshade, astringent, acid, painful, shrubby bittersweet.
- "My Studio Neighbors", William Hamilton Gibson.
- "The Complete Project Gutenberg Works of George Meredith", George Meredith.
She climbed up on the stile and stood looking over, exclaiming at the beauty of the old gray walls, draped in the masses of brilliant bittersweet; then, springing down, ran across the churchyard to join Betty and Keith on the other side and make her own selection of vines.- "The Little Colonel at Boarding-School", Annie Fellows Johnston.