Definition of blacken:
char, taint, coal, singe, smut, dirty, befoul, melanize, smutch, scorch, soil, black, attack, melanise, parch, besoil, deepen, defile, smudge, bespatter, clean, nigrify, spatter, sear, begrime, stain.
- blacken (part of speech: verb)
- slander (part of speech: verb)
- darken (part of speech: verb)
- "A Diary Without Dates", Enid Bagnold.
- "In Her Own Right", John Reed Scott.
The same disregard of the laws of civilized warfare and of the just demands of humanity which has heretofore called forth expressions of condemnation from the nations of Christendom has continued to blacken the sad scene.- "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.