Definition of blackened:
fatal, colored, black-market, grubby, befouled, calamitous, dark, grungy, smoky, sinister, foul, muddy, inglorious, opprobrious, nasty, disastrous, cruddy, filthy, begrimed, sordid, stained, unclean, coloured, contraband, shameful, disgraceful, bleak, bedraggled, in color, pitch-dark, grim, mordant, black, uncleanly, smudged, pitch-black, grotty, bootleg, mucky, soiled, smuggled, draggled, dim, bemired, dingy, smutty, colorful, dusty, fateful, grimy, ignominious.
- blackened (part of speech: verb)
- slandered (part of speech: verb)
- darkened (part of speech: verb)
It had been deserted by the inhabitants the day before, who, on leaving, had set it on fire; and the blackened walls and fallen roof- trees were nearly all that now remained to show where the little hamlet had once stood.- "The Confessions of Harry Lorrequer, Complete", Charles James Lever (1806-1872).
- "A Reversible Santa Claus", Meredith Nicholson.
- "Fifty-One Years of Victorian Life", Margaret Elizabeth Leigh Child-Villiers, Countess of Jersey.